Friday, August 7, 2009

My Argonauts


These are my guys, they have
been my guys for close to 45 years now.


My first memories of those beautiful uglies
was via the radio, CFTR 680, listening
with my mother, thanks Mom.

In 1964 I was 9, and already a big
Maple Leaf fan, but got exposed to a
new game, through the medium of radio,
and it was so different than listening to
Foster or Bill Hewitt, this was a new experience.









I think my first game on the tube was the Alouettes and the Argonauts, but my memory is a little fuzzy. Once we started building our family cottage, there were summers with no television, just the magic of radio to spark my interest.

Wally Gabler was the quarterback, and while he was no superstar, in 1967, he was all we had. That was to change very soon, once Leo Cahill arrived from the Toronto Rifles.


So Wally G was back there calling signals, and usually getting clocked
by The Rough Riders, or Mosca and Barrow of the Tiger Cats.



Poor Wally, I always felt sorry for him.











In later entries I want to provide more memories, and some really nice ones.

Today, I am devoting this 1st Argo memory to the 2 Brians.

My uncle was the other family member devoted to the cause, so much so he brought up an aerial in 1971 to our cottage ( because we were beyond the 100 mile radius ) and were able to watch the 1st game of the 2 game Eastern Final against the Tabbies.

The other Brian is my bud , and he knows the Argos as I do.

More to come, it's 3 and long, but thankfully Dave Mann is back there !


No comments:

Post a Comment