Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Oldies but Goodies


Long do I remember the Argos from my era.
We use to put these cards on our bikes, here
them flap as we rode.
For my 15th birthday, we went to a sporting goods store
and bought a new football, I was told it was a CFL style
ball. It was white, and had the usual CFL partial stripe at
both ends.
I took that ball with to many Argo games, finally
getting enough nerve to ask some of the Argos to
autograph it. First it was Sy, then Raimey, then Wilkie,
and Profit, then Harrington and Luster, and Thornton.
Pretty soon, it was full up, got Dick Shatto, and Leo the Lip,
and surly Bobby Taylor, who just grunted at me. I don't
think he liked me much. Then I got Russ Jackson, and
Whit Tucker, it looked like a tattooed work of art.
Then in 1971, I got one last one, before tragedy struck. I
got Leon McQuay just after Theismann brushed me off. Two older kids grabbed my ball and started
running across the field kicking it back and forth. There were no cops, no stadium officials, just myself and
my friend Ricky Hooper. We chased them, but they exited with my treasure out where the buses used to park to take opposing players back to the airport, or hotel, and as it was 10 pm, and dark, I lost them.
A less than worse fate was my 1970 CFL cards, as I had the complete set ( not the cards above ), and numerous
hockey card collections, 1965 through to 1971, all discarded when we moved to Scarborough. As a kid
in high school then, my subjects occupied my time, and packing was left to my parents. Sorry Mom, but I should have spent some time making sure my oldies and goodies were safe. Also lost were my fave baseball card collection, Topps 1971, black bordered beauties, all gone.
I still have my autograph book, thank goodness, and so I can still relive my best memories, standing at the players exit on the field waiting for my heroes to depart into the night. Symons, Thornton, and Profit always shook my hand, and Symons was a repeat for me and is in my book about 5-6 times, he began to look at me funny, maybe I thought, " He recognizes me", or maybe he just thinks I'm nuts.
The day Dave Raimey ran roughshod over the Tiger Cats 55-7, scoring 3 rushing TD's I nearly lost my autograph book too, as there was a throng of well wishers and press all around, and the book slipped from my hand, and I actually kicked a few feet away.
I was saved by Argo assitant coach Jimmy Roundtree, who saw my dilemma , a skinny kid ( what happened James ) , and picked up, brushed off the grass ( no turf yet ) and waded through the press and fans to return it to me. If that don't beat all. Roundtree asked me my name, I don't remember what I said, likely mumbled " Jim " or heaven knows what and said "better hold onto that, it's a nice book", or something like that. I was just grateful I had not lost it.
I always wonder what happened to the ball, it held so many great stories and Argo great names, it would have stayed with me forever because it was priceless.
I do look each Argo season at the autographs and wonder if the current players stand around as they used to after games, I'd like to think Pinball would, maintaining a tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment